Tall buildings are increasingly becoming part of London, a city traditionally associated with a low-rise, low-density character. In the past few years, major clusters of tall buildings have been taking shape across London – from Nine Elms to Elephant and Castle to the Isle of Dogs and Croydon. With a pipeline of over 500 tall buildings either in planning, approved or under construction, as revealed by the 2018 NLA London Tall Buildings Survey, London is expected to see more of these clusters built over the next decade.
With a rapidly changing skyline and city shape, questions remain over the contributions that tall buildings bring to the capital: do we have the appropriate tools to ensure tall buildings are in the right place and of good quality design? How do tall buildings contribute to the streetscape, providing good quality public realm as part of their developments? And how do we make sure that tall buildings really address London’s housing challenge?
NLA conducts an annual survey to evaluate current trends for tall buildings in the capital, capturing the pipeline of buildings of 20 storeys or above across all London Boroughs. The 2019 report will update on the current tall buildings pipeline, analysing the changes over the past year, reflecting upon the effect of Brexit, as well as discussing the appropriateness of the planning tools currently in use and ultimately discussing the role of tall buildings in London’s growth.
The annual survey will be accompanied by a showcase of recently completed and proposed tall buildings in London and a two-month exhibition in the NLA Gallery, launching March 2019.
- What is the current pipeline of tall buildings in London and how does it compare with previous years?
- What does the tall buildings pipeline tell us about London’s market resilience post-Brexit?
- What major challenges do tall buildings bring to the planning system, local authorities and communities?
- What contribution do tall buildings bring to London's housing needs? What do they deliver in terms of affordable housing? Are they the best way to deliver density?
- What is the impact of maintenance and cost in tall buildings?
Download the full report here
Call for Projects
2019 Submissions now closed